DPRG: sonars & 8031 boards dreaming

Subject: DPRG: sonars & 8031 boards dreaming
From: Jim Brown jbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com
Date: Tue Jul 1 15:30:39 CDT 1997

> Looks like finally this week-end I'll have time to get my sonar
> working.  The excitement builds!

Major cool.  So far, I'm just gawking at it while it sits
on my desk (you can just image me doing that, right?).

On a connected topic, I keep thinking about having some more 8031
boards made.  I'd like to add one or two sonar sockets to
the next version.  So far, my zealous wants are to have the
following stuff:

	8031 or 8032 (40pin CPU),
	74ls373 (address latch),
	74ls138 (address decode),
	2764 or 27128 or 27256 (eprom),
	6164 etc. (ram),
	8255 (24 bits i/o),
	7805 votage regulator
	one or two sonar sockets,
	one or two lmd18200 (6amp h-bridges),
	8 servo headers (3pin),
	?8? A/D lines,
	lm386 (speaker amplifier),
	max232 (serial),
	and maybe a small proto area.

After looking at all that, I think, wow that's a lot!

Maybe I'll just go back to my original design of just
an 8031, 373, 2764 & 7805!  And, maybe make some stand
alone boards with some of the other stuff (break off boards?).

Gee, one of these days I'll make my boards again, when
I can figure out what I want.

I've just about given up on the 20 pin 89C2051 since it would
be hard to get them.  But wouldn't they make a nice small
controller board.  If I went that way, I'd also make the
programmer board to go with it so it would be cheap and
easy to program them from a pc.  Just the thought of it, a
1.5 inch by 1.5 inch motherboard for a robot.  It just has
a 7805 and an 89c2051!

Jim Brown                jbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com or jbrown at why.net
                         http://users.why.net/jbrown
                         http://www.dprg.org (Next meeting July 12th)

Work:  972-519-2868      My employer won't claim these opinions.
Home:  972-495-3821      So I'm giving them away for free.