DPRG: sonars & 8031 boards dreaming

Subject: DPRG: sonars & 8031 boards dreaming
From: Kevin Ross kevinro at nwlink.com
Date: Wed Jul 2 23:17:58 CDT 1997

Having read this mail, I guess I gotta ask. Have you checked out the 68HC12
series from Motorola? The 68HC812A4 is a 112 pin package that has 4k of
EEPROM and 1k of RAM. It also has 96 I/O pins including 8 A/D channels, 8
timer output channels, a pulse accumulator, two serial ports, and a bunch
of other stuff. It is also much faster than the 8031 derivatives. Many of
the instructions execute in 1 clock. The majority are 3 clocks or less. The
timer section makes the 8031 parts look really inadequate.

I liked the 8031 chips, but wow are they outdated. Most of your list below
is contained on a single chip these days, including the address decode and
latch support. The 68HC812A4 costs less that $20 in single chip quantities.

If you want more EEPROM, the 68HC912B32 has 82 pins, most of the features
>from above minus some of the I/O pins, and 32k of Flash EEPROM.

http://freeware.aus.sps.mot.com/hc12/home.html

Kevin