DPRG: July 1997 DPRG Newsletter 3 of 3

Subject: DPRG: July 1997 DPRG Newsletter 3 of 3
From: David Beckham dbeckham at bectec.com
Date: Thu Jul 10 23:49:06 CDT 1997

Jim Brown wrote:

> More on Robotics Contests
>
> by the Contest Committee and penned by Eric Yundt
>
>     RoboRama.97b                                      August 16th, 1997
>

>     ############
>     #          #
>     #  T-TIME  #
>     #          #
>     ############
>
>     Objective:
>
>         For an autonomous Robot to begin in the course START AREA "A",
>         travel to the END AREA "B" (completely over the line), and then
>         travel to the SIDE AREA "C" (completely over the line), and then
>         return to the START AREA "A" in the least amount of time.
>
>         A random number (1 - 6) of soda cans will be "hidden" (placed)
>         on the course (6" or greater from walls) which may be counted,
>         collected, and brought back home to the START AREA "A" for extra
>         points.  Soda cans may be removed for any contestants who don't
>         want them in the way.
>
>     Time to Complete Course:         8 minutes
>
>     Accomplishments                  Points                  8'
>     =============================    ======             +---------+      ---
>     Shortest times to      1st:         40              |         |       |
>     complete course        2nd:         20              |         |       |
>                            3rd:         10              |    B    |8'     |
>                                                         |         |       |
>     Turns Around in Designated Areas    10              |         |       |
>                                                         +---------+       |
>     Not Touching Any Walls              15              |         |       |
>                                                       4'|         |       |
>                                             8'     4'   |         |       |
>     Soda can recognition/count can     +---------+------+         |       |
>     be indicated by blinks, beeps,     |         |                |       |
>     etc.  Cans may be collected        |         |                |
>     singly or in groups and must     8'|    C    |                |16'   32'
>     be brought entirely into the       |         |                |
>     START AREA "A" to count.           |         |                |       |
>                                        +---------+------+         |       |
>                                                         |         |       |
>     Recognize/Count Cans (each)         10 / 15         |         |       |
>                                                         |         |       |
>     Bring Cans Home (each)              10 / 15         +---------+       |
>                                                         |         |       |
>     Entertainment Value             0 - 10              |         |       |
>                                                         |    A    |8'     |
>     Craftsmanship Value             0 - 10              |         |       |
>                                                         |         |       |
>     Discretionary Bonus             0 - 15              +---------+      ---
>     =============================   ===============
>     Total Possible Points:             100 + 30/can

>     Scoring Guidelines
>     ==================
>
>     There are several types of scores that may be awarded a Robot contestant.
>     Some scores are based upon certain accomplishments being done (yes or no),
> [...]

Hi Y'all,
This was a great piece of email to come home to after a day at the
office!  The Saga of Little YaTu warmed the old "cockles" (what are
"cockles" anyway) of my heart.

But the Roborama rules, while quite clear on almost every point left me
wondering about "walls" versus "tape" so I thought I'd ask (since I now
have TWO 'bots capable of movement under their own power!).  Is the
T-Time area to be surrounded by the 1' posterboard wall mentioned
elsewhere in the rules, with the "lines" at A, B, & C marked by tape? Or
are some of the perimeter walls "conventions" in the wall sense just
indicated by tape.  Sorry for the confusion - but ARBE-ONE and
PLEXI-TANK were both asking :-)

Western Regional . . .

	David Beckham in Chatsworth
	http://www.BecTec.com
	Home of ARBE-ONE the "Model T" of Mobile Bases.