DPRG: July 1997 DPRG Newsletter 3 of 3

Subject: DPRG: July 1997 DPRG Newsletter 3 of 3
From: Eric Yundt eric at sssi.com
Date: Fri Jul 11 10:50:57 CDT 1997

David,

David Beckham wrote:

> Jim Brown wrote:
> >

> > ############
> > #          #
> > #  T-TIME  #
> > #          #
> > ############
> >
> > Objective:
> >
> >     For an autonomous Robot to begin in the course START AREA "A",
> >     travel to the END AREA "B" (completely over the line), and then
> >     travel to the SIDE AREA "C" (completely over the line), and then
> >     return to the START AREA "A" in the least amount of time.
> >
> >     A random number (1 - 6) of soda cans will be "hidden" (placed)
> >     on the course (6" or greater from walls) which may be counted,
> >     collected, and brought back home to the START AREA "A" for extra
> >     points.  Soda cans may be removed for any contestants who don't
> >     want them in the way.
> >
> > Time to Complete Course:         8 minutes
> >
> > Accomplishments                  Points                  8'
> > =============================    ======             +---------+      ---
> > Shortest times to      1st:         40              |         |       |
> > complete course        2nd:         20              |         |       |
> >                        3rd:         10              |    B    |8'     |
> >                                                     |         |       |
> > Turns Around in Designated Areas    10              |         |       |
> >                                                     +---------+       |
> > Not Touching Any Walls              15              |         |       |
> >                                                   4'|         |       |
> >                                         8'     4'   |         |       |
> > Soda can recognition/count can     +---------+------+         |       |
> > be indicated by blinks, beeps,     |         |                |       |
> > etc.  Cans may be collected        |         |                |
> > singly or in groups and must     8'|    C    |                |16'   32'
> > be brought entirely into the       |         |                |
> > START AREA "A" to count.           |         |                |       |
> >                                    +---------+------+         |       |
> >                                                     |         |       |
> > Recognize/Count Cans (each)         10 / 15         |         |       |
> >                                                     |         |       |
> > Bring Cans Home (each)              10 / 15         +---------+       |
> >                                                     |         |       |
> > Entertainment Value             0 - 10              |         |       |
> >                                                     |    A    |8'     |
> > Craftsmanship Value             0 - 10              |         |       |
> >                                                     |         |       |
> > Discretionary Bonus             0 - 15              +---------+      ---
> > =============================   ===============
> > Total Possible Points:             100 + 30/can
> >

> Hi Y'all,
> This was a great piece of email to come home to after a day at the
> office!  The Saga of Little YaTu warmed the old "cockles" (what are
> "cockles" anyway) of my heart.

Thanks!  I've been having a blast (and lack of sleep) writing the
"YaTu Chronicles".  That was one of the 1st chapters and one of the
"almost current time" chapters.

I'm planning to rework both of those a little before calling them
a wrap, but you can see them at:

	http://www.doorbell.com/yatu
and
	http://www.dprg.org/yatu  (after Jim's vacation  ;-)

> But the Roborama rules, while quite clear on almost every point left me
> wondering about "walls" versus "tape" so I thought I'd ask (since I now
> have TWO 'bots capable of movement under their own power!).  Is the
> T-Time area to be surrounded by the 1' posterboard wall mentioned
> elsewhere in the rules, with the "lines" at A, B, & C marked by tape? Or
> are some of the perimeter walls "conventions" in the wall sense just
> indicated by tape.  Sorry for the confusion - but ARBE-ONE and
> PLEXI-TANK were both asking :-)

All the "outer" boundaries of the courses should be defined either by
the "real" meeting room walls or by the 12" posterboard walls.  The
START AREAS, END AREAS, SIDE AREAS, & TURN AROUND AREAS in these current
courses should all have 3 sides defined by walls (posterboard or room)
and an "entrance" side defined by 1" masking tape on the floor.  We don't
always get the same room for meetings in the Infomart so we can't really
say in advance how much of each type of wall.  The thought was to make
the course entirely navigatable via sonar sensor.

In our mostly regular room (the computer generated room graphic on the
DPRG webpage,) the courses would be laid out like this:

                     WWWWWWWW                       WWWWWWWW
                     b      W                       b      W
                     b      W                       b      W
                     b......W                       b......W
                     b      W                       b      W
            bbbbbbbbbb      W                       b      W
            b    :          W                       b      W
            b    :          W                       b      W
            b    :          W                       b      W
            bbbbbbbbbb      W                       b      W
                     b      W                       b      W
                     b......W                       b......W
                     b      W                       b      W
                     b      W                       b      W
                     bbbbbbbW                       bbbbbbbW

         b       - posterboard wall
         W       - room wall
         . or :  - 1" tape on floor

> Western Regional . . .
>
> 	David Beckham in Chatsworth
> 	http://www.BecTec.com
> 	Home of ARBE-ONE the "Model T" of Mobile Bases.

I was checking out your ARBE-ONE stuff on the web last night, it like
a pretty nice Robo-kit/base.  Are you going to try sending one down
for the competition?

- --
Eric
                                                          .__
Eric Yundt <eric at ytech.com>                       __ ---   ; \_      //    F
"HA!" YaTu laughs as he spits into the wind,       -- -    {\_""   // I  N
tryin' t'catch a fox makes da cow's head spin!    --  ooo__{ _}   // N  I
YaTu at YTech.COM  --  http://www.dprg.org/yatu (N/A)              //    H