DPRG: Beginner

Subject: DPRG: Beginner
From: droid at bellatlantic.net droid at bellatlantic.net
Date: Tue Jul 15 20:49:29 CDT 1997

Hmm....how should I start.
I know the eletronics but I don't know it too well...I't like this. I have readed a
Radio Shack BASIC ELECTRONICS and GETTING STARTED IN ELECTRONICS. I have made a simple
555 clock and used that to power different logic circuits. Well.. it was the best way to
learn the thing. But after time the logic itself is not enough. After viewing almost all
of the FAQ on the WWW I have decided to go for the microcontrollers. Hmmm...now that's
where it starts. After viewing information on BASIC Stamp, PIC microcontrollers,
Motorola 68hc11, Z80, 8000 and 6500 families...the best way to start seems to be a BASIC
STAMP. But the dilema continues...with my amount of knowledge I wonder if I won't
"outgrow" the Stamp and money invested in the kits would be lost. Should I start with
the PIC and if so what book should I go for : Robot Builder bonanza or Easy Pic'n.
I mean....I have taken apart a commercial printer, couple of VCRs and purchased TRUE
RMS VOM, Logic Probe...Prototyping board...and I think a whole research center except
the oscilloscope. Anyway..If you all think that I should start With a Stamp anyway ...I
will...I was wondering if after I learn how to use the PICs would Stamp become obsolete
or would it be a very good addition to my robots...(I was wondering if you can
communicate between Stamp I or II and PIC)...anyway...what should I do ?
Any opinion welcome.