DPRG: Brian's RoboWalls

Subject: DPRG: Brian's RoboWalls
From: Eric Yundt eric at sssi.com
Date: Wed Jul 16 01:30:15 CDT 1997

Brian Merritt wrote:

> At 04:00 PM 7/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >I finally got around to looking at Brian's RoboWalls.  I think he has
> >some great ideas, but I do not like that some walls are mitered and some
> >are not.

Sorry Kip, but I bounced your email from this afternoon (my goof)
so I may be repeating some of what you already discussed...

> The mitered walls can still be easily used a standard straight
> walls.  Just butt two mitered walls end to end and use the very same
> piece that is already used to form inside corners (see attached
> drawing in gif format).
>
> >I would rather have an outside corner piece than a mitered corner. That
> >way the walls could be all the same (more modular) and we do not have
> >to worry about where one particular wall section goes.
>
> Actually I considered the addition of an outside corner piece but
> that adds an additional 6" to each of the joining walls. As a result
> the layout would have to be changed to allow for the 6", or shorter
> custom walls would have to be made and that does not contribute to
> modularity.  Also the additional corner piece would add at lease one
> if no two more seams to the "robot side" of the wall (see attached
> drawing in gif format).

In the interest of keeping things simple, how do you guys think
this would work?

We just use square ends on every wall piece, and make        +-----+
each wall piece a standard  12" x 48" x 1".                  |     |
                                                             |     |
For corners both inside and out we use               b       |     |
a "double" corner -- a little angle piece             +------+     |
that fits on the "outside" of either type             |       a    |
of corners ("a" or "b").                              |            |
                                                      +------+     |
                                                             |     |
     b                                                       |     |
       +--+-------------+                                    |     |
       |  |     6"      |                                    +-----+
       |  +-------------+
       |  | +-----------------------------            |
       |  | |                48"                 +--+ |  |
       |6"| +--+------------------------         |  | |  |
       |  | |  |                                 |  | |  |
       |  | |  |                                 |6"| |  |
       |  | |  |                                 |  | |  |
       |  | |  |                                 |  | |  |48"
       +--+ |  |                                 |  | |  |
            |  |                      +----------+--+ |  |
            |  |                      |     6"      | |  |
            |  |48"                   +-------------+ |  |
            |  |                 ---------------------+  |
                                   48"                |  |
                                ----------------------+--+

> >I think Brian's the wall connector is also a good idea. It is simple and
> >functional.  However I believe it should be made of wood to add some
> >weight to the walls.  A 1 x 6 x 6 piece of wood (or 3/4 " plywood)
> >would be easy and heavy enough for the wall connector.
>
> This would be fine but I don't know that this will add much weight
> considering the length of the walls we plan.  We may need additional
> weight that can be placed on the back side "foot" of the walls.
>
> >I wonder if there was a design that could break down flatter.  With 13
> >12" x 6" x 96" sections, assuming two can fit the space of one
> >(approximately) it would take about 24" x 18" x 96" for 12 pieces.  I
> >have a hatchback and they would not fit becaus of the 96".  24 pieces
> >would take 36" x 24" x 48" with another 6" x 12" x 48 for the additional
> >2 pieces.  Hmmm that would probably fit mine and most other peoples
> >cars. However the design would be a little more complicated.
>
> I agree that the size of the walls may be a transport problem for several
> members of the group, but I have noticed that several members drive
> pick ups that could transport the longer pieces easily. If it is necessary
> for members with cars to transport walls, perhaps they could just take
> the shorter ones (1 to 4') along with the corners pieces and couplings.

If this stuff can be "pinned" together pretty well, we might be able
to get by with having glued "prefabbed" sections like this with an
angle support capped on the end:

                     _____________________________________
         /|         |               48"                   |
        / |    -->  |                                     |
       /  |11"      |12"                                  |
      /   |    -->  |                                     |
     /____|         |_____________________________________|
       6"    -->   /                                     /
                  /                                     / 6"
                  --------------------------------------

Then we can "pin" the extra angle supports on where needed as we
assemble the course.

> >I propose we have an evening for putting together the walls. (After we
> >agree on the design <grin>)  If we get 6 people together, it should go
> >quickly. Maybe 2 hours, unless we have to paint. If it is one person, it
> >could take a long time.
> >
> >I could volunteer my garage for a one evening "assemble the walls GTG",
> >but I do not want to be the one in charge of it.
>
> Based on the time I spent building some prototypes, I think a more complex
> collapsable design may take many man hours to construct.
>
> >Regards,
> >Kip
> >

> I am not saying my proposed design is the best we can come up with, but
> I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.  All inputs are welcome.
>
> The attached drawing does not go into any great detail, just a simple
> 2d drawing of a couple of corners.  I tried to send it in gif format,
> if it does not come through, let me know and I will try to resend it.

The GIF came through alright here.

> Regards,
> Brian

- --
Eric
                                                          .__
Eric Yundt <eric at ytech.com>                       __ ---   ; \_      //    F
"HA!" YaTu laughs as he spits into the wind,       -- -    {\_""   // I  N
tryin' t'catch a fox makes da cow's head spin!    --  ooo__{ _}   // N  I
YaTu at YTech.COM  --  http://www.dprg.org/yatu (N/A)              //    H