DPRG: Brian's RoboWalls

Subject: DPRG: Brian's RoboWalls
From: Larry Kerns kerns at lonestar.rcclub.org
Date: Wed Jul 16 09:49:05 CDT 1997

Brian Merritt wrote:

> At 04:00 PM 7/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >I finally got around to looking at Brian's RoboWalls.  I think he has
> >some great ideas, but I do not like that some walls are mitered and some
> >are not.
>
> The mitered walls can still be easily used a standard straight
> walls.  Just butt two mitered walls end to end and use the very same
> piece that is already used to form inside corners (see attached
> drawing in gif format).
>
> >I would rather have an outside corner piece than a mitered corner. That
> >way the walls could be all the same (more modular) and we do not have
> >to worry about where one particular wall section goes.
>
> Actually I considered the addition of an outside corner piece but
> that adds an additional 6" to each of the joining walls. As a result
> the layout would have to be changed to allow for the 6", or shorter
> custom walls would have to be made and that does not contribute to
> modularity.  Also the additional corner piece would add at lease one
> if no two more seams to the "robot side" of the wall (see attached
> drawing in gif format).
>
> >I think Brian's the wall connector is also a good idea. It is simple and
> >functional.  However I believe it should be made of wood to add some
> >weight to the walls.  A 1 x 6 x 6 piece of wood (or 3/4 " plywood)
> >would be easy and heavy enough for the wall connector.
>
> This would be fine but I don't know that this will add much weight
> considering the length of the walls we plan.  We may need additional
> weight that can be placed on the back side "foot" of the walls.
>
> >I wonder if there was a design that could break down flatter.  With 13
> >12" x 6" x 96" sections, assuming two can fit the space of one
> >(approximately) it would take about 24" x 18" x 96" for 12 pieces.  I
> >have a hatchback and they would not fit becaus of the 96".  24 pieces
> >would take 36" x 24" x 48" with another 6" x 12" x 48 for the additional
> >2 pieces.  Hmmm that would probably fit mine and most other peoples
> >cars. However the design would be a little more complicated.
>
> I agree that the size of the walls may be a transport problem for several
> members of the group, but I have noticed that several members drive
> pick ups that could transport the longer pieces easily. If it is necessary
> for members with cars to transport walls, perhaps they could just take
> the shorter ones (1 to 4') along with the corners pieces and couplings.
>
> >I propose we have an evening for putting together the walls. (After we
> >agree on the design <grin>)  If we get 6 people together, it should go
> >quickly. Maybe 2 hours, unless we have to paint. If it is one person, it
> >could take a long time.
> >
> >I could volunteer my garage for a one evening "assemble the walls GTG",
> >but I do not want to be the one in charge of it.
>
> Based on the time I spent building some prototypes, I think a more complex
> collapsable design may take many man hours to construct.

> [...]
Brian,
I can see that a lot of thought and energy went into your wall design.
It looks good.  I would like everyone to think though about whether you
really want to lock the walls together with the connector pieces.  Even
a small knock from most of the robots (i.e. roger's or even if Little
Yatu hits it at moderate speed) you will do considerable damage to the
wall pieces because there is no "give".  If possible I would think we
would want stand alone 2' sections or at the most two or three 2'
sections that lock together so that the robots would simply push the
wall away rather than break it.  After all, the wall is just a boundary
that can also be used for echo ranging.  It is not for containment.
What do you think?

By the way, I'm still looking into using masonite for the wall
material.  It is more sturdy, is only 1/8" thick so that 128' of wall in
1'x2' sections would require 4 sheets of masonite and would stack to a
block that is 8"x1'x2' for transport.  I will find out what the weight
is today but I doubt that it is overwhelming.  Let you all know.
- --
Will I Dream, Dave?

Larry W. Kerns
kerns at lonestar.rcclub.org