DPRG: Sojourner's brain...

Subject: DPRG: Sojourner's brain...
From: Roger Arrick rarrick at ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu Jul 17 18:49:26 CDT 1997

You wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 17:33:42 -0500 (CDT) you wrote:
>
>>As far as I know, radiation hardened is not off-the-shelf.  That's
the
>>reason the 8085 was choosen.
>
>I guess you're right - I couldn't find it listed in my Digi-Key
>catalog!  Oh well, the important thing is that they went with
>existing commercial products rather than having the stuff custom
>designed just for this spacecraft.  VxWorks at least is easy to
>get - they've got a web page at http://www.wrs.com

I agree.  Looks like NASA does a good job using "standard" computing
hardward as long as there are space-ready versions available.  You
would think a big organization with so much $ would take the ivory
tower approach and try to build their own from scratch.  Maybe we
should keep NASA and scrap all the other agencies?

Roger.

- --
    /       Roger Arrick       /     Arrick Robotics       /
   /    roger at robotics.com    /       P.O. Box 1574       /
  /     Ph: (817) 571-4528   /   Hurst, Texas 76053 USA  /
 /     fax: (817) 571-2317  /   http://www.robotics.com /

"Talk" is inversely proportional to "do"