DPRG: Motor Divers

Subject: DPRG: Motor Divers
From: Kevin Ross kevinro at nwlink.com
Date: Sat Jul 19 11:10:47 CDT 1997

>          +5v
>           |    _________    +-----------------+--- +12v
> +-------+-+   |       10|---+     _________   |
> | 8051 1|-----|1 2803 18|--------|         |  |
> |      2|-----|2      17|--------| stepper |  |
> |      3|-----|3      16|--------|         |--+
> |      4|-----|4      15|--------|_________|  |
> |       |     |         |                     |
> |       |     |         |         _________   |
> |      5|-----|5      14|--------|         |  |
> |      6|-----|6      13|--------| stepper |--+
> |      7|-----|7      12|--------|         |
> |      8|-----|8      11|--------|_________|
> |       |  +--|9        |
>     |      |

You can reduce the number of I/O lines required by using a 74HC595 serial
in/parallel out latched shift register. It requires a small amount of
software overhead, but can accept data at full speed. This would reduce
your I/O pin requirement to 3 (data,clock,latch). I have done this exact
circuit with the shift register for different projects. You can also
cascade them off the same 3 lines if you need more.

Kevin