COOL ROBOT ARM PLANS THAT YOU CAN BUILD :)

Subject: COOL ROBOT ARM PLANS THAT YOU CAN BUILD :)
From: root root at snotnose.wizard.org
Date: Tue Jul 22 13:22:42 CDT 1997

COOL ROBOT ARM PLANS THAT YOU CAN BUILD

Howdy-

Sometime back (probably before Christmas) I mentioned here to someone
that I had some cool robotic arm plans from an old Radio Electronics
magazine (~1980). At the time I did not have them available online but
I have since been able to get them scanned in and they are sitting on
my web site- the main page is http://www.vnet.net/wizorg and the robot
URL is http://www.vnet.net/wizorg/robot. There are no links to this
>from the main page though!!! So you'll hafta type it in by hand. Also
you'll just get a directory with some files. I apologize beforehand-
the files are rather large (6 GIF files @ ~400K ea)- one of these days
I'll actually get around to turning it into a real web page but for
now its just too cool to keep to myself! :) If you've been wanting to
make a nice hobbyist-level robotic arm... it is well worth the download
time!!! (Trust me :)

The plans detail the construction of an arm using readily available
(stock) materials and ordinary hand and power tools. When constructed
the arm has several degrees of freedom (and you can easily add more-
you'll see how in the plans) and can lift several pounds. Exactly how
much though really depends on how much you stray from the original plans.
For instance you could easily adapt this design to use other materials
or to adjust it to another scale. With a little imagination you could
do a lot of neat things with it.

If you're looking for source materials there are a number of sources
on my web page (in the reference section) as well as a number of links
to other pages in my links area. Try http://www.robotics.com (Roger
Arrick's page- Hi Roger :) he's got some cool stuff up too. The metal
stock can probably be gotten in a good hardware-type store or a
welding shop (or better yet, a big scrapyard like I've got around here)
It doesn't go into too much detail in the way of sensors or feedback-
but you can easily add whatever sensor electronics you wish and there
are plenty of strategic mounting opportunities too.

Just in case you're wondering- this article is from a larger series of
articles about building the 'RE Robot' (RE is Radio Electronics). I
think it was supposed to be about 13 issues worth or something liks that-
I don't recall if I saw them all or not. What I do remember though is
the rest of it wasn't that unusual- just your typical R2D2 StarWars bot.
(Remember, this was right after Star Wars was released for the _first_
time :) Anyway, this is the first article in the series where the outline
the rest of the robot a little and then get on to building the arm.

THIS IS THE ONLY ARTICLE IN THE SERIES I HAVE !!!

(Sorry for being so emphatic- its just that I already know I'm probably
going to get 50 people asking for the rest of them anyway :) Not that I'm
in any way trying to discourage mail though- feel free to write if you
wanna talk about robots- also sign up for the new TIRC (The International
Robotics Club) mailing list if you like- its just getting started but its
beginning to pick up nicely. We could use some more folks- the more the
merrier- and of course its free so come on! :)

If you wanna, here's how you sign up:

# The TIRC mailing list
#
#
# Very few of you is subscribing to the TIRC mailing list, so I thought I
# could send you the subscription information again to get more subscribers.
#
# To subscribe to the list:
# send mail to tirc-request at sparc.naxs.com with the word "subscribe" in the
# first line of the message, and nothing else.
# To send mail to the list itself:
# send mail to tirc at sparc.naxs.com

Hope to see you there! :)

John Whitten