DPRG: Re: gearing

Subject: DPRG: Re: gearing
From: Jim Brown jbrown at why.net
Date: Thu Jul 24 07:05:27 CDT 1997

At 11:02 AM 4/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Was curious, and about to dive into designing and putting together the
>'guts' of my robot and I am trying to figure out how I am going to get
>the gearing together.  What does a beginner do for this?  Does a person
>normally dig for a suitable already assembled gear box?  Is the a
>company that simply manufactures and sells gear boxes?  I will two(one
>for each motor and wheel)  Or does a person normally just design and
>assemble the gear assembly themselves, and if so, where is a good place
>to begin(I haven't a clue how I would make a good reliable, smooth gear
>assembly that wouldn't jump out of whack or rip through teeth at every
>incline)
>
>I've got the electronic part figured out and I think I can manage
>mounting the goodies into my case, but the gearing I have a feeling
>could be a killer.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim Johnson
>
>figurehead at why.net
>
>http://www.why.net/users/figurehead

The robot store has a nice gear box, but it's a little pricey  ?$20?
http://www.robotstore.com .  You can configure it to just about
any ratio.

Also MECI had some nice gear boxes for about $1.99 that were
taken from those sidewalk kids cars.  Also, you can get the
original 12v motor with them for about ?$5.99?.
? http://www.meci.com ?

I don't think I would be brave enough to build a gearbox from
scratch, although I've contemplated it myself several times.
It's probably loads easier to find a gearhead motor through
a surplus store than to build one.

>PS are you still with Why Net?

Yep, I tried to quit but they won't let me out of my contract
so I'm stuck.  So, I'm enjoying reporting to !every! problem
to support at why.net.

Jim Brown       jim_brown at bigfoot.com or
                jbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com or jbrown at dprg.org
                http://users.why.net/jbrown
Rom 3:23,24     http://www.dprg.org (next meeting is Aug 9th) Bring robots!
		Robotics Contest at the Aug 9th meeting!