DPRG: Re: gearing

Subject: DPRG: Re: gearing
From: Kevin Ross kevinro at nwlink.com
Date: Thu Jul 24 09:22:45 CDT 1997

There are many alternatives to putting together your own gearing.

The drawbacks to 'rolling your own' when it comes to gears is that they are
horridly expensive. You will probably find that a new set of gears that
give you a reasonable gear down will cost about $30 per motor new! If you
can find them surplus, they will still run you a bunch.

The best alternatives include surplus gearhead motors and new ones. The
surplus market, such as Marlin P Jones, AllTronics, All Electronics, and
Electronic Goldmine all have a selection of motors of various sizes. You
can find all of these companies on the net.

New motors can be had for a decent price! Grainger Industrial Supply sells
a great 12v DC gearmotors for $22.00 (Stock # 2L010). They have a variety
of different gear ratios (this 2L2010 is 25 RPM, which is really fast on a
6" wheel!). The motor draws 1.3 amps at full load. It also outputs 20
In-Lbs (Thats POUNDS, not OUNCES!). A Dallas phone number for Grainger is
214-631-4597. I think they want you to be a business before they will sell
to you, as they really aren't a retail outfit.

If this motor is too big, you might consider hacking a servo motor. Check
out http://www.seattlerobotics.org/guide/index.html, which has a section on
using hacked R/C servo motors for control.

Kevin