DPRG: Finding drivers for "bargain" pc cards

Subject: DPRG: Finding drivers for "bargain" pc cards
From: Larry Kerns kerns at lonestar.rcclub.org
Date: Fri Jul 25 13:44:00 CDT 1997

I received this from one of my computer club members and thought I'd
share it with the list:

- -------

I was reading through the July issue of the North Texas PC Users Group
Newsletter and came across this article that I had to share with you
all. If you have ever been down at the Ross Avenue - First Saturday Side
Walk Sale you really should read this.

             'Mystery Cards' -- Bargains Identified on the Web

There are lots of "bargains," video cards, NIC's, sound cards, modems,
etc., to be found at the Informart vendor area or at "First Saturday."
Finding the right driver(s) for that "bargain" board you picked up at
the sale can be a problem, especially if the maker of the board didn't
put their name on the card.

Here is a solution to identification discovered by member James Bodard
and posted on the BBS Conference area.

I had a bit of a brainstorm and wanted to share it with you.

Seeing how the only identifier on my video card was the FCC ID, I
thought "well now, why not put those tax dollars of mine to work!"

Sure enough there is a database on the Web by the FCC that lets you
locate who received a particular ID and here it is: TADA!

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/ead

I used this to track my video card and sure enough it told me precisely
who manufactured my card.  This enabled me to get the correct driver for
my "no-name" video card.  TADA, again!

Hows that for a brainstorm?

                                                James Bodard

- --