DPRG: Real good riddle.

Subject: DPRG: Real good riddle.
From: droid at bellatlantic.net droid at bellatlantic.net
Date: Sat Jul 26 18:41:49 CDT 1997

David Beckham wrote:

> droid at bellatlantic.net wrote:
> >
> > I am facing pretty tough choice here...
> > The Microengeneering labs,Inc is a supplier of a PIC microcontrollers.
> > Now...They offer something called PicBasic. It is said to be a compiler.
> > They tell me that whatit does is converts teh program that write in
> > PBasic to assembler and then to HEX. The PBasic they offer includes
> > inline assmebler....now...there comes a good one.
> >
> > for $179.99 they offer this bundle(I have placed a individual prices in
> > the parenthesis )
> >
> > PBasic compiler,($99 when purchased alone)
> > EPIC Plus Programmer($60but that is only a programmer, with no cables or
> > adapter. The one with the 40 pin adapter and cables and AC adapter costs
> > $99)
> > AC Adapter($10)
> > 25 Pin cable($10)
> > PIC Proto18 ($10)
> > PIC16F84 ($7)
> >
> > Now...The $179 seems so be the best bundle here since if I Wanted to buy
> > the whole thing but without the PBasic compiler, well It would cost kind
> > of more, right ? (I hope my math is still right).
> >
> > The thing is...I don't know a thing about the assembler. I have seen some
> > example codes and to tell you the truth,,,this thing looks like
> > someone designed it while drinking the rest of his cappucino late at
> > night. I know that the PBasic wil compile the code for me but I can't run
> > away from it. I mean it will get me sooner or later. I can program in
> > other languages tough :
> > CBM Basic
> > Apple II Applesoft Basic
> > Qbasic
> > Boland C
> > Borland Turbo C++ (v 3.0 for DOS)
> > Borland Turbo Pascal 7.0(for DOS)
> >
> > All of these programming languages do make sense, maybe that's becasue
> > they are sort of human soun'a'like. Well, in the assembler it looks
> > rather differnt, you have all these registers, accumulators, and whole
> > lot of other stuff.
> >
> > Since I want to, well I should say I HAVE to learn the assembler, I
> > believe that PIC chip should not be TOO complicated and I hope that it
> > will allow me to learn a WHOLE lot about the guts of teh whole
> > chip(Someone told me that to be efficient or even programm at all in the
> > assembler you HAVE to know the guts of a chip...kind of makes sense to
> > me... :(   )
> >
> > But (yeah...every teacher always repeated not to use "but" at the
> > beginning of the sentence...I guess I had to sleep on this one) I don't
> > even know where to start learning this language. I mean...I thought of
> > buying this Easy PIC'n since it says teh  it teaches the assembler and
> > the chip itself(PIC16F84). There is only a tiny problem. This is a single
> > book that I would have(since library has nothing ,well except 1 or two
> > books that include word assembler in their title...they didn't look
> > rather for beginner when I looked at them.) Now when I will have some
> [...]
have 486 40 mhz with 8 megs of ram and 270 Megs hard drive...and it
doesn't look in the far perspective that any new computer should appear
in my hhouse. You see I just don't want to MESS up my current
cmopputer...and I have heard stories where people tried to interface
something to teh PC and they have ended up new one. I rather pay little
bit more for the board which WILL wrok correctly..I hope you know what
the TIGHT budget means...
Anyway...Thanx.