DPRG: Real good riddle.

Subject: DPRG: Real good riddle.
From: droid at bellatlantic.net droid at bellatlantic.net
Date: Sat Jul 26 23:04:43 CDT 1997

Kevin Ross wrote:

> If you are planning on building robots, and haven't built anything else
> before, I would probably recommend that you NOT try the PIC chip right off
> the bat. Why?
>
> 1) You end up having to buy programming hardware, as you described below.
> 2) The PIC chips are outstanding microcontrollers, but are not very feature
> rich. You need to understand exactly what you are getting. There are larger
> chips available, but the EPIC Plus programmer may not support them.
> 3) RISC instruction sets are actually a poor choice as your first assembler
> language to learn. The require some expertise to get started with.
>
> A quick price comparison:
>

> > PBasic compiler,($99 when purchased alone)
> > EPIC Plus Programmer($60but that is only a programmer, with no cables or
> > adapter. The one with the 40 pin adapter and cables and AC adapter costs
> > $99)
> > AC Adapter($10)
> > 25 Pin cable($10)
> > PIC Proto18 ($10)
> > PIC16F84 ($7)
>
> 68HC812E2 ($18)
>         Has A/D
>         Has 24 I/O pins
>         Has Serial I/O built in
>         Has timer section
>         Has 2k EEPROM
>         Has 256 bytes RAM
> BotBoard I ($6 for board, about $6 for misc parts)
> Serial Cable (MAX232 + connectors = $5)
> SBasic compiler (Free)
> Assembler (Free)
> Battery Driven ($3)
>
> Micro-C, a mid-featured C compiler
> PCBUG11, a good downloader/debugger is free
>
> Point being: You can have a complete development system, including a very
> useful controller board, for about $50.
>
> If you really do want to get started with the PIC, I would strongly suggest
> getting the Microchip PICStart Plus. I have one and it is great. It comes
> with some software called MPLAB which is a Windows based IDE environment,
> complete with simulator, debugger, editor, and supports downloading. Easily
> one of the best integrated development systems I have seen. The PICStart
> Plus handles all DIP parts up to 40 pins. Costs $149 from several vendors.
>
> Even if you don't own a PIC, you can download the MPLAB software from
> Microchip and play around with the assembler using the simulator. I
> programmed up and debugged a large project using the simulator before the
> hardware was ever built. The software dropped on the chip already working,
> which was REALLY nice. Check out there website and download it.
>
> Microchip has a travelling seminar about the PIC chips. You might check
> there website to see if it is going to be in your area anytime soon. It
> costs $149, but it comes with the PICStart Plus, data books, 16C84 sample
> chips, and a good overview of the PIC architecture.

A question:
>From what you have listed here, the 68hc812E2 seems to be of much better
advanced than PIC. Wel then I was wondering...is it easier to get started
with or simply CHEAPER to start with.

Another Q:
You have listed that there is a C compiler for that chip ? is it free too
or you have to purchase it ?

Another Q:
That SBasic...is it a interpreter or Compiler ?And what is the difference
between the PBasic Compiler and SBasic ?

Anoteher Q:
What did you mean by : "Battery driven" ?

Anotehr question :

Is there one place where I can puchase all this stuff ?

Antother Q:
Will I get better , worse, the same performance than PIC ?

Another Q :
IS this chip compatibile enough to to able to "talk" over the serial port
with the PIC controllers ?

Another Q:
what is that BotBoard I ($6 for board, about $6 for misc parts) ?

Another Q:
> Serial Cable (MAX232 + connectors = $5) <- what do you mean "MAX232 + connectors"(will I have to but the connector together on my own ?)

Another Q:
Can you run this processor from the batteries  and if so what kind and
how long (if in the sleep mode)

Another Q:
The PIC hardware comes FULLY assembled so there is no screwing(maybe
except the connectors to the back of the computer) or soldering.
Is it the same with Motorola Chip ?

Another Q:
Since it has EEPROM can you erase the ROM witht he programmer or you have
to have s pecial eraser ?

Another Q:
What timing circuit do I need for that chip ? (Becaus eif I'm correct the
to PIC  you can connect the right crystal and that baby flies ?

Another Q:
Since you said the PIC is not feature rich...so why the hell is this
thing so popular ?????

Another Q:
Will I have to make my own programmer or is tehr eon you can buy ?
(since my budget is really  tight I don't really want to fry several
chips before realizing that one pin in my programmer is connectred wrong)
I have heard stories that some people have messed up their computers by
connecting something "mistakenly"
And a LAST THING.

GOD DAMN THIS PROCESSOR IS 40 pinner. Hell I don't know if you ever heard
it: " If you can't afford to blow it up, then don't use it at ALL"

I am simply little bit afraid that I would spend my money and the first
this I'll see from that processor would be a grey smoke. The first thing
I would attempt would be probably a LED sequencer. IT is like writing
"Hello Wolrd" when yo uare learning new computer language.

I'm sorry for so many questions but you see I'm about to spend my money
on something  and there you are telling me that I shoudl reconsider what
I'm doing (TRUST ME I have nothing against it ...in fact it might be even
a blessing before I would go bald trying to figure things out)

I would really appreciate answers to these basic questions.
:)
Thanx