DPRG: 22v10 programming

Subject: DPRG: 22v10 programming
From: Clay Timmons ctimmons at asic.sc.ti.com
Date: Mon Jul 28 09:31:03 CDT 1997

> >One of the techs here gave me 2 each 2114 and 4116 with metal covers for
> >use as "robot vision" once I pry off the cover an put a microscope
> >slide cover on top.  Do you know of anyone in the group experienced with
> >robotic vision using such antics?  Do you know of anyone who knows how to
> >program GAL22V10 chips?  I understand they are REprogramable.

- ---Snip---

- ---Snip----

> DPRG bought a CPLD software tool and a guy in the group donated his
> device programmer that can program gals.  I don't know much about it,
> but he could probably help you.  His name is Kevin Carter, and you
> can find his email address on the members list web page.

I just recently borrowed the club's programmer.  I have recent experience
with it and the PLD chips.  Let me know if you have any questions
about the programmer or GAL chips.

I started out with a 16R8 design but the programmer will not program the
bipolar fuse (PAL type) devices.  It will only program the CMOS based EEPROM
(GAL type) devices so I switched to a 16V8.  The circuit worked fine
except for power up.  It powers up with the latches in unknown states
which is unacceptable in my design.  The good old PAL type devices power
up with all latches cleared.  Next I swtiched to a 22V10 device which has a
asynchronus clear to solve the power up problem.

- -Clay Timmons   ctimmons at asic.sc.ti.com