DPRG: UV navigation?

Subject: DPRG: UV navigation?
From: Dan Bowen radiowave at bigfoot.com
Date: Thu Jul 31 14:51:39 CDT 1997

Hello, I am just grtting into robotics and I am investigating sensors for
a robot that will navigate a house.  I have considered Infrared and
Ultrasonics, these are good, but they are both seem as though they would
not be able to handle meeting a fabric couch or chair.
I was wondering if anyone knows how ultraviolet light works for sensing,
perhaps not unknown obstacles, but could a stripe of UV reflective
chemical (that is not visible in normal light) be painted on these
absorbing objects?  Also it is a goal to possibly have this bot vacuum
floors, I was considering having it follow a preset pattern by following
a wire under the wood floor.  (I thought of a programmed course, but I'm
not sure how much slip would affect him and get him off of where it
thought it was)  I was planning on using one or more BS2s for controllers.

Thanks,

Dan Bowen
Rochester, NY