DPRG: Contest Opportunity for DPRG

Subject: DPRG: Contest Opportunity for DPRG
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Mon Jun 2 12:23:03 CDT 1997

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:44:37 -0500 you wrote:

>> I just recieved this e-mail from the organizer of the Annual Fire Fighting
>> Robot Contest.  The contest has grown to be too big for one event and
>> now they are looking for groups to hold regional contests.
>>
>> Here is a big opportunity for DPRG!
>>
>> Lets do it!

>I saw that message too.  I had the following problems with it though:
>
>1.  We probably couldn't do it at the Infomart
>2.  We wouldn't have control of the rules
>3.  I'd rather design our own contest.

I got a copy of the email too.  I think it could be added as one
event in the yet-to-be-designed, big annual DPRG robot event. If
we want to attract a lot of people we'll want to include as many
standard events as possible, a Sumo event, a micromouse event, a
few special DPRG events, maybe some BEAM events, etc.  Why not
add this contest as one more event?  There are standardized rules
for micromouse and sumo but that means there are more existing
robots that can compete in them.  People will come from all over
the world for a micromouse contest because the rules are the same
everywhere.  We can't expect that kind of participation in a DPRG
contest with unique rules. It's worth thinking about, anyway.  I
don't think we could pull it off yet but maybe in a year if we
keep growing we can handle an event of that size.

Your first objection is valid but I think we'll need to find a
suitable location before we could do any sort of really big contest.
Infomart has some bigger areas but I don't know if they could be
convinced to let us use them for free. The 80's era DPRG did an
event at a shopping mall so I bet we can find something...

Besides, think of the ulcers you could get worrying about judging
a contest with multiple events and complex rules! ;-)

- -Steve