DPRG: 68HC11 Digest V597 #33 (fwd)

Subject: DPRG: 68HC11 Digest V597 #33 (fwd)
From: Eric Yundt eric at sssi.com
Date: Tue Jun 3 11:35:26 CDT 1997

Some nice stuff about battery charging from the 68HC11 list...

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Re: how to protect program in 68hc711e9
> Re: Serial IO in Linux
> Re: Serial IO in Linux
> Re: Serial IO in Linux
> Re: 68HC11 Digest V597 #32
> Current version of Pink Book
> Re: how to protect program in 68hc711e9
> Re: Current version of Pink Book
> Re: Serial IO in Linux
> RCPT: Battery Charging
> Re: PCBug problems
> Re: Serial IO in Linux
> Re: Serial IO in Linux
> Re: Serial IO in Linux

[ ... ]

> [...]
>
> If you are using a lead-acid battery for a constant long term load such
> as a back up to a computer application it is best to select a battery
> specified for deep-discharge service such an an RV battery or one designated
> for deep-cycle marine service.  Automotive types are optimized for short term,
> high amperage starting service and do not tolerate repeated deep discharges
> well.
>
> The trickle charge rate should be low enough to prevent out-gassing, something
> like 1/100 of the ampere hour rating of the battery.  This is especially
> critical for sealed types as there is no way to replenish the water lost
> during overcharging.
>
> I suggest contacting a major battery manufacturer for specific information
> because the float voltage, maximum charge rates and gassing rates vary as a
> function of battery temperature and cell design.
> Try Exide, Gould, or Yausa(sp?).  If you are looking at compact, sealed
> lead-acid types that look like beer cans, contact Gates - Amoung other
> information they publish a very fine small book on the care and feeding
> of their sealed cells which has much fine overall information on batteries.
>
> I have also recently seen some complex function charge chips intended for
> lead acid designs which detect current battery condition and cycle back
> and forth between a recharge mode and a trickle mode as the cell voltage
> rises and falls.  Sorry, I don't remember the manufacturer off the top of
> my head but will keep my eye open for it.  If I were to search for it I
> would check Maxim, Benchmarq, and speciality chip houses such as Linear Tech.
>
> A neat trick I saw several years ago was a charger that had 2-3 silicon
> power diodes in series with the output to the battery.  The charger voltage
> was then set to the appropriate number of diode drops above the desired
> float voltage (typically .6 - .7 volts per diode).  The idea of this was
> that as the battery approached full charge float voltage, the diodes would
> drop out of conduction and the charge rate would fall off rapidly and
> vice versa.
>
> Note that it is essential that the charging supply be current limited to
> prevent burn out of the supply under heavy load and over charging of the
> battery.
>
> None of this information is useful for Ni-Cad, NmH, or L-ion battery types.
> They have completely different voltage vs. charge relationships and must
> be handled with special charger IC's.  By the same reasoning, do not
> attempt to adapt such a charger chip to lead-acid service.  A lead-acid
> battery does not exhibit the negative dv/dt inflection approaching full
> charge and will not cause the chip to enter trickle charge state.
>
>   Good luck,  Bob Smith
>
> >Pablo Mochcovsky
> >

> - -
> - ----  Avoid computer viruses  --  Practice safe hex  --------------
> Robert L. (Bob) Smith			Smith Machine Works, Inc.

Eric

Eric Yundt <eric at ytech.com>                       __ ---   ; \_      //    F
"HA!" YaTu laughs as he spits into the wind,       -- -    {\_""   // I  N
tryin' t'catch a fox makes da cow's head spin!    --  ooo__{ _}   // N  I
YaTu at YTech.COM  --  http://www.dprg.org/yatu (N/A)              //    H