DPRG: RoboVision

Subject: DPRG: RoboVision
From: Clay Timmons ctimmons at asic.sc.ti.com
Date: Fri Jun 20 16:06:42 CDT 1997

> Speaking of image processing.  If you knew what you were looking for,
> like yellow tennis balls, wouldn't it be easy to scan for yellow if
> you knew everything else was not yellow, and then turn the robot toward

Check out the Cognachrome vision system from Newton Labs.  It was
featured in the Scientific American Frontiers show chasing tennis
balls.  It works as you describe by discriminating color of the
target object.  Doesn't need stereo since you can compute distance
to the target if it's size is known.

www.newtonlabs.com

We should try and get one of these babys donated. You will choke
when you read the price.  Maybe if we buy Randy Sargent a plane
ticket home to visit his folks here in Texas in exchange.

- -Clay Timmons   ctimmons at asic.sc.ti.com