DPRG: BG Micro's Sidewalk Sale

Subject: DPRG: BG Micro's Sidewalk Sale
From: Kipton Moravec kmoravec at airmail.net
Date: Sun Jun 22 19:06:49 CDT 1997

Jim Brown wrote:

> I don't know if everyone made it out to the sidewalk sale,
> but I had a great time but it was all too short.  Just as
> I was walking out the door at about 9:30 am, my brother called
> and asked if I could baby sit their boys at 11am.  That sort
> of cut short my scavanging.  However I did manage to get about
> a half a grocery bag of tubes.  I got a couple tubes of 7400s,
> 7414s, 8255s, 74373s, 40pin sockets, 28pin sockets, 20pin sockets,
> dip switches.  The 8255s alone were probably worth 20 bucks.
> I got the whole lot for $5!!!  What a deal.  I saw Kip, Jay Vlack,
> and Eric Yundt and his wife Sherry there while I was there.
> I can't wait for next year's sidewalk sale.  I'll try to go earlier
> next time - I saw a lot of people leaving with a lot of stuff
> as I was walking up!  Anyway I had a blast.

  I made out like a bandit also.  In the chips market I decided to try
to get as many different 74xx, 74SXX, 74LSXX  TTL chips as I could.
Since I was going to get into more breadboarding I figured they would
come in handy. Unfortunately I did not bring a TTL Data Book (I will
bring one next year,  along with a Newark Catalog, so I know what the
numbers mean).  They had a cardboard box that was about 4' x 4' and 3'
deep.  I spent about 2 hours going through that box.  I managed to get
36 identified, and 7 so far unidentified, TTL logic types.  I can not
find my TTL Data Book.

I got a number of different DIP switches, 8, 7, 4, and 3 switches on one
device, about 4 different types of linear parts, 2708, 2764, and 27256
EPROMs, 14-, 16-, 18-, 20-, 24-, and 28-pin sockets,  a few resistor
packs and capacitor packs.

I walked out with a paper grocery sack full of chip carriers, probably
120 to 150 in the sack, plus another bag with an RS232 cable, some
header to 25-pin D connectors, header to 9-pin D connectors, edge
connectors, header connectors, and a 5V 3A regulated power supply new in
the box. He said $35 for everything.  So I thought I did really well. I
was there for about 2 1/2 hours, and got just a little bit sunburned. :)

I also stopped at Tanners Saturday and picked up two $1.95 stepper
motors and some IR sensors to play around with.

On the way home I stopped at K-Mart and got two of their parts shelves,
each one has 60 drawers.  And I put most of the parts in the drawers
last night while watching TV. I still have about 15 tubes of
unidentified parts.  Either they are too old to be in the current
books/catalogs, or they have custom (customer) numbers on them.

Jim, you must have missed seeing Steve Rainwater, because he was there a
little later also.

> Anyone going to the Robotic Chat dinner at the Vista Ridge Mall
> food court on Monday night?

I will be there. 6:00 p.m. right?

Regards,
Kip