DPRG: Re: Tips on building Robot Lawnmower

Subject: DPRG: Re: Tips on building Robot Lawnmower
From: Jim Brown jbrown at why.net
Date: Mon Jun 23 10:47:27 CDT 1997

At 06:56 PM 6/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I got your email address from the Dallas Robotics Club web site.  I am
>trying to gather information on Robot Lawnmowers.  I would like to build
>one, but I'm a novice and was hoping that you could give me some web sites
>and contacts that have built robotic lawnmowers or have done design work
>associated with the them.  Thanks for your help.
>
>Bob Bowie
>bbowie at airmail.net

I think you can buy one from the Robot Store ( http://www.robotstore.com )
aka Mondotronics, but I think they're > $2000!  I believe that the CIA
is using them.  They're sort of dumb like pool cleaners where they just
randomly go around until all of the yard is mowed.  I think you have to
plant a wire underground that it detects (either metal detecor or AC
detection?) Seems like a big liability.  You'd probably wanna sit outside
on a lawnchair and sip tea and warn passing kids and pets that it might
try to devour.

Jim Brown       jim_brown at bigfoot.com  or jbrown at why.net or
                jbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com or jbrown at dprg.org
                http://users.why.net/jbrown