DPRG: Radio Controlled Ball

Subject: DPRG: Radio Controlled Ball
From: Clay Timmons ctimmons at asic.sc.ti.com
Date: Tue Feb 3 12:38:57 CST 1998

> Wacky idea #2:
>
> I remember somewhere that there are some liquids that
> get heavy with heat.  If you placed bladders of that
> liquid all over the inside of the ball with electrical
> heat elements inside, then an mcu could sequentially
> turn on and off the bladders to change the center of
> gravity and cause the ball to turn.

Liquids that get heavy with heat?  Sounds fishy to me.
E=mc^2 so you would need quite a bit of energy (heat)
to convert to matter (mass) to make a significant weight
shift.

On a similar note I saw an idea of a rolling ball that used
air bladders. It was an idea for a Mars lander. With a
controller inflating/deflating indiviual air bladders
to create motion.  The air bladders were arranged in
pie-shaped sections like a giant wheel.  The idea could
be extended to a ball for motion in any direction.
I would not expect it to move much faster than a snail's pace
but still a neat idea.

- -Clay Timmons