DPRG: Radio Controlled Ball

Subject: DPRG: Radio Controlled Ball
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at spd.dsccc.com
Date: Tue Feb 3 12:53:56 CST 1998

> Liquids that get heavy with heat?  Sounds fishy to me.
> E=mc^2 so you would need quite a bit of energy (heat)
> to convert to matter (mass) to make a significant weight
> shift.

Yep, believe it or not.  I saw something on PBS where
someone constructed a huge wheel that was supposed to
turn a generator by allowing the sun to heat up the top
of the wheel which caused it to turn to the bottom.  There
were several sections and as the wheel turned, the next
section would be on top, get heated and turn to the bottom.
However, as you said, the process was so slow that it
never "turned" a profit!  ;-)

> On a similar note I saw an idea of a rolling ball that used
> air bladders. It was an idea for a Mars lander. With a
> controller inflating/deflating indiviual air bladders
> to create motion.  The air bladders were arranged in
> pie-shaped sections like a giant wheel.  The idea could
> be extended to a ball for motion in any direction.
> I would not expect it to move much faster than a snail's pace
> but still a neat idea.
>
> -Clay Timmons

Yeah, but the best selling point is that it doubles as a
whoopie cushion!  ;-)

Probably the same technique could be used to make an
air bladder snake that could crawl across the ground?

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___ http://www.dprg.org (Feb 21)
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ jbrown at cyberramp.net
\__\/ \/ \/\/\/ \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com
http://www.cyberramp.net/~jbrown www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/6818