DPRG: embedded java?

Subject: DPRG: embedded java?
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at spd.dsccc.com
Date: Tue Feb 3 15:31:21 CST 1998

> My group has been working to get up to speed on Java at the applications
> level but I have also been try to keep an eye on the "small" Java
> technologies.  Not too long ago I checked the Sun site for availability
> of their chip but failed to find this.  I also got the impression that
> the technology was geared for workstation-scale applications but I could
> be wrong.  I did read recently that Personal Java (p-java) would run on
> a "mere" 2 MegaBytes or so.
>
> The most encouraging thing I've seen is for the Java smart cards. There
> they have stripped Java down to only several kB by removing support for
> things like threads and garbage collection.
>
> My $.02
> Chris
>

> Chris McCarley, Motorola  / aka RedKnight
> Computer Integrated Mfg  / cmc162 at airmail.net
> ecm004 at email.mot.com  / Neural Networks: not just a good idea
> 817-245-2992                   /  but also good places to put them.

Wouldn't it be cool if it were possible to port java to
something like an hc11 or an 8051!  Don't think it'll
happen anytime soon, but wouldn't it be nifty.  I'd be nice if
it were just a matter of making a jvm processor emulator,
but I think it's much more complicated than that, and I
think the memory requirements would be great.

Has anyone thought about or looked into doing this?

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___ http://www.dprg.org (Feb 21)
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ jbrown at cyberramp.net
\__\/ \/ \/\/\/ \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com
http://www.cyberramp.net/~jbrown www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/6818