DPRG: Optical encoders Help!! Also NMIY0031 does not do interrupts!!

Subject: DPRG: Optical encoders Help!! Also NMIY0031 does not do interrupts!!
From: Clay Timmons ctimmons at asic.sc.ti.com
Date: Tue Feb 17 15:01:34 CST 1998

> Does anyone have any good suggestions?  I am so far behind and a lot of
> it has to do with this part that should be very simple! Counting up and
> down with an optical encoder.
>
> Regards,
> Kip

Kip,

I have a great suggestion.  HP makes the perfect part for this
application.  Can't think of the part number off the top of my
head but you can probably find it on thier web site.  Contact
me if you can find it and I'll get you the exact part number,
try HCTL-1000 ???

The part takes A and B quadrature signals and counts up/down
as needed. Internally there is a large 24 maybe 32 bit counter.
The part is designed to be easy to interface to microcontrollers.
The part can count much faster than a interrupt driven micro
controller.  Also it has 4X oversampling.

- -Clay Timmons-