DPRG: Re: Hi!!

Subject: DPRG: Re: Hi!!
From: Jim Brown jbrown at cyberramp.net
Date: Sun Feb 22 07:58:54 CST 1998

At 01:41 AM 2/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi!!
>       Am Martín I. de la Vega M., and am sending this e-mail because i
>want to know what kind of sensors can i use for build a robot... please
>
>Am sorry for my short e-mail... but i don't know write on english
>very well... I will appreciate your help... Thanks.
>

>atte.
>Martin I. de la Vega.
>vandido at telmex.net.mx

There's many types of sensors that you can use
for your robot.

Bumper switches & limit switches
	turn on when you bump into something (basically it's a button)

Infra Red
	Sort of a proximity detector.  You send out 38-40khz through a
	IR led, and then detect with a IR module.  Gives you qualitative
	info like something is there or not, but not a good indicator
	of distance.  Won't see black objects, though.

Sonar
	Something like the Polaroid 6500 sonar device can detect
	objects from 6" to 35' away.  It outputs 40-60khz sound bursts
	and calculates the time of flight to get the echo.  Gives you
	quantitative info as in the number of inches something is away.
	Some things don't bounce sonar well, so it won't see everything.

Motion Detector
	Detects changes in ambient light.  So if your cat walks
	by, it'll give you a signal.  Your robot has to remain
	still during the detection process.

CdS
	Cadmium Sulfide sensor used to detect light.  It is basically
	a resistor that gives changes in the amount of light that
	falls on it's detector.  They're slow to react, but work great.

Laser Rangefinder
	These are expensive, but are very accurate.  Probably "out
	of range" for most hobbiests.

Image processing
	Use a video camera to get an image, and process image with
	a PC.  There are many techniques to process the image.

There's probably more that I can't think of right now.

    \/\_\@  ____    /  /\ __  ___          ___    http://www.dprg.org 2-21
    / / /\ / / /\  /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\  jbrown at cyberramp.net
\__\/  \/ \/\/\/  \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/ jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com
http://www.cyberramp.net/~jbrown www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/6818