DPRG: Chip Packages and PICStart Plus Questions

Subject: DPRG: Chip Packages and PICStart Plus Questions
From: James & Iliana Holbrook jandi at mpsi.net
Date: Mon Feb 23 01:54:16 CST 1998

Timothy,
	I have been using the PIC for about a year now. I think I can answer a few of
your questions.
	First off. Are you dead set on using the PICStart Plus ?? There are some
alternatives like the
simm sticks from http://www.wirz.com that are less expensive and more
versatile. i.e. with the simm stick
you can program the chip (16F84 or any of the serial programmable chips), flip
a switch and have it run
your code with test circuit attached. Very fast code development because your
not swapping chips in and out
or waiting for the UV erasure.
	Second. MPLAB (the development environment) runs great in Win95 (I use it all
the time) and I don't
see any reason why PICStart Plus wouldn't work, as it just plugs into your
serial port. I doubt it will work in Windows NT.
	About the package. Depends on your application. I think you would prefer the
CDip for development because of
the need to buy adapters for the other packages. If I remember right the 8, 18
and 28 pin packages are narrow and the 40
is wide (0.600). Don't quote me on that !!
	Unfortunately I have only used the 16C84 because I don't want the hassle of a
UV erasure, so I can't comment on
the others. The language is pretty easy to learn with only 35 instructions. You
can't beat the turnaround time with the C84.
	As far as Flash verses EEPROM. You can't tell the difference when programming
or running. From what I know the
Flash is just an upgraded version of EEPROM memory not actually a different
type. You do get more RAM with the Flash.
	Hope this helps a little.
	Some other pages to check out are:
www.dontronics.com
www.melabs.com