DPRG: Chip Packages and PICStart Plus Questions

Subject: DPRG: Chip Packages and PICStart Plus Questions
From: Mike Norris miken at hic.net
Date: Mon Feb 23 19:48:02 CST 1998

Hi,
   I have been using the PIC START PLUS for a couple of years now with windows
3.1 and Windows95. I have to say I agree completely with Kevin, use the PIC
START PLUS with the Microchip MPLAB (which includes a simulator) and you
should not have any problems. The PIC architecture and mnemonics are
different than what you might find on an 8051 or 68HC11 so it may take some
getting use to. Microchip made the instruction set execute very quickly
(usually 4 to 8 clock cycles and some of the new parts run up to 33MHZ) but
being a RISC processor the instruction set makes you do all the work. What I
really like about the PIC microprocessors is that you can get a wide range
of packages and functions ,8 pin DIP parts with 6 I/O lines ( even 8 pin DIP
parts with 8 bit A/D converters are now available ) to PLCC parts with 48
I/O lines. In regards to the flash or EPROM parts, the flash parts can be
erased electrically (by the PIC-START PLUS while the EPROM parts require an
ultraviolet EPROM eraser. Also, the flash memory parts typically do not have
the ROM memory capacity of some of the EPROM parts.
I hope this helps.

                                        Mike Norris