DPRG: Deep Thoughts and rambling

Subject: DPRG: Deep Thoughts and rambling
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at spd.dsccc.com
Date: Fri Jan 9 11:52:51 CST 1998

> Your discussion of forms of intelligence and behavior is well thought
> out.
> I believe that the first step (want) is an inherent curiosity or a
> constant stimulus to investigate the environment.

Yep, the "want" principle could be the key explain all exsitance!
However, "money" (or the lack thereof) is the dark side that keeps
the universe in check (or will that be credit)! ;-)

It's funny that it seems that the "want" principle could work so
well in robotics.  After the robot gets something, it could be set to
just want something else.  Hense, a never ending purpose.  It's funny how
that humans seem to work the same way.  I mean, we long for something,
but when we get it, we just want something else. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

BTW, Duct tape is like the force:  There's a light side and a dark
side, and it binds the universe together.

> This is the part of behavior that may be sort of instinctive and is
> necessary to start the intelligence gathering process.
> Without it a being/robot would sit in one place at the
> refrigerator/charger.

Well said.

> I would like to add another scenario to Case 5 from personal experience:
>
> Case 5a:
> Baby goes towards a power socket (want)
> Mom's not around (cool)  <----------------------- !!! The elvis principle
> Baby sticks something into socket (experiment)
> Baby notices interesting phenomena (sensory perception)
> Baby grows up to be an engineer (want, (craving more sensory stimuli))
> Baby, now engineer, fools around with robotics (utopia (and possibly
> inherent Frankenstein instinct))

And, later patents a novel idea for cooking frankfurters!  :)

I like it!

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___  http://www.dprg.org (Jan 17)
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ http://users.why.net/jbrown
\__\/ \/ \/\/\/ \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com