DPRG: Pain

Subject: DPRG: Pain
From: Jim Brown jimbrown at airmail.net
Date: Sat Jan 10 16:46:13 CST 1998

At 09:41 PM 1/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>> They feel better so they quit crying. (pain gone, reflex not necessary)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>Pain is actually very interesting and has been duplicated in the CORE
>processor.  Consider the following:
> Subject: Re: Pain Inducing Patterns
>picture at http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~peprbv/pain.html
>On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Jagan Narayanan wrote:
>> Hi Guys:
>>I also downloaded the picture and looked at it. There is nothing unique
>about
>I asked 14 students if they felt pleasure while looking at the
>pain picture.  No one reported pleasure.  Two reported pain.  I said
>each time that you are are suppose to feel pleasure.

<meaningless waveform garbage sniped> (otherwise known as bandwith noise)

You have got to be kidding!  Tell me how you know your robot "feels"
the pain.  Your robot has no inputs remember?  Are you telling me
that just by _seeing_ an image it feels pain?  What happens if you turn
the lights out?  These are the principles on which your robot works???
Do you just discuss philosophy, or are you really trying to figure
out for yourself robotic intelligence and build intelligent robots,
or are you just wasting people's time and pull them off of real robotic
endevors?  Above is supersitious nonsense and a complete waste of time.

Your emails have been wearing out my delete finger.  Try to raise your
signal to noise ratio a bit, would ya.

    \/\_\@  ____    /  /\ __  ___          ___    http://www.dprg.org 1-17
    / / /\ / / /\  /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\  http://users.why.net/jbrown
\__\/  \/ \/\/\/  \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/ jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com