DPRG: Pain

Subject: DPRG: Pain
From: Ron Blue rcb5 at msn.com
Date: Mon Jan 12 21:17:44 CST 1998

>The Brain does not "say" anything to the arm, cut-off or otherwise.  Our
>nervous system does not work in a polling mode.

"A simple illustration of correlational opponent-processing can be
accomplished with the following procedure:  take your fists and put
these side by side: Press them firmly together for one minute; since
your fists are touching each other and you have made the
pressure equal, the situation is correlated; this balance illustrates
correlational opponent-processing.  Allison Graves (1994)
provided a more interesting illustration of correlational opponent-
processing.  After pressing your fists together, quickly pull them a
part an inch and hold them there.  You will notice that your fists
seems to be attracted toward each other like a magnet!"

"Subject: voice
location of the mind
______________________________

I had my students stick their finger in front of their nose with the arm
extended.
Next I had them shut their eyes and think to themselves.  Next I asked them
locate their voice in their mind using the below graph.
                       L        R
y\                  7,3 7,4 7,5 7,6
                6,2 6,3 6,4 6,5 6,6 6,7
                5,2 5,3 5,4 5,5 5,6 5,7
                4,2 4,3 4,4 4,5 4,6 4,7
                3,2 3,3 3,4 3,5 3,6 3,7
                2,2 2,3 2,4 2,5 2,6 2,7
                1,2 1,3 1,4 1,5 1,6 1,7
Results: y   m=2.64   sd=1.11
         x   m=5.57   sd=3.35
         n=14

I, then demonstrated that they could move the location of the voice
by looking up and to the right and then thinking. "

>  You are fixated in a mathematical representation of
>AC wave propagation theory and you don't know anything about the body,
>brain, or any real system in existence.
Actually by training I have a strong stimulus-response or behaviorist
background.  Clark Hull, another leading behaviorist, pushed strong
mathematical models of behavior and the opponent-process model of behavior.
Richard Lester Soloman was another leading proponent of opponent-process of
learning.  Aristotle actually started all this with his association models
of learning and his waterfall illusion, a classic illustration of
opponent-process.

> Did you do too many
>drugs in the seventies?
Nope, I was a Vietnam supporter and a part of the military industrial
complex.  My background training in the Air Force was Intelligence.  I was
deeply involved in War World Three which never ocurred.  It is a shame that
Russia may be the only nation to own and run the robotic factories of the
future, and your children may die fighting robots with advanced intelligence
because you know the truth.  Just think of your child as a future fighter
pilot making a 9 g turn trying to
avoid a CORE controlled robotic plane making a 15 g turn and moving easily
behind him for the kill.   I wonder if he will forgive you as he dies.  I
wonder if you will be able to forgive yourself.  If NTC can control the
licence process, it may be able to avoid the above.  (My Russian friends say
this is not realistic the Miltary will want a robotic army and will do what
is necessary to get one.  I suggested a United
Nations Robotic Army with international control.  They laughted at my
idealism.)  I am old, and have no intention of dying without seeing a race
of intelligent robots so I must
be idealistic.  The problem is that once this becomes common knowledge
ANYONE can go into Radio Shack and buy the necessary parts to build a CORE
processor.  The pandoras box has been open and can not be closed.  To many
people already know how to do it.  I only pray that this knowledge will be
used for good, not evil.

It is totally legal for NTC to  sell the technology to the Russians who have
put their money on the table.  NTC prefers the technology to be owned and
built in the USA, not Russia.   (Actually, we want it international so no
one side
has an advantage.  Any advantage is always short lived.)  This is not a
game,
your type of thinking will determine your nation's and your children's
future.   Your children will also be the robots we are talking about.  They
will learn and know our knowledge and culture.  When biological life becomes
impossible human wisdom will live on in them.
Ron Blue