DPRG: "Random" Numbers

Subject: DPRG: "Random" Numbers
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Tue Jan 13 17:19:38 CST 1998

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:15:20 -0800 you wrote:

>Regarding random number generators, I have taken someone's advice out
>there and looked in to my Numerical Recipes in C book!  The write-up
>turned out to be very interesting ...

Numerical Recipes in C is definitely a book worth having by anyone
who codes in C.  I've had it around for years and found it very
helpful.

Don't know if this would be of any additional help but there is a
C++ library called RandNumGen that contains source for a whole lot
of weird random number algorithms including:

 T distribution
 F distribution
 Weibull distribution
 Uniform distribution
 Triangular distribution
 Poisson distribution
 Normal distribution
 Negative Binomial distribution
 Log-Normal distribution
 Geometric distribution
 Gamma distribution
 Exponential distribution
 Erlang distribution
 Discrete-Uniform distribution
 Chi-Squared distribution class definition
 Binomial distribution class methods
 Beta distribution class methods
 Bernoulli distribution class methods
 Prime Modulus Multiplicative Congruential Generator

(this is all from the readme file, I don't know how all of them work!)

Each algorithm is a separate C++ class and source code file.  The
package should be findable from most search engines as RandNumGen.
The copy I've got is version 1.0 and was released in 1992 under a
a GNU license.  It was written by Joseph A. Fisher.

- -Steve