DPRG: Pain

Subject: DPRG: Pain
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at spd.dsccc.com
Date: Wed Jan 14 08:36:57 CST 1998

> BTW, I met together with some CCGO guys (and wives and kids including
> Rachel) for pizza at CiCi's (Collin County Gun Owners who meet once
> a month).  They all have e-mail and are computer-literate.  Some of
> them were saying I could get a 600MHz 686 board for ~$110 and 16Meg RAM
> for ~$25.  Know anything about this?  I may have to get there at 9am
> to find those deals, but I AM DETERMINDED that I'll have just as powerful
> a computer as my wife (her daddy has a 686 waiting for her in Fla --
> all she has to do is pick it up).

Actually, I bought 16 meg of memory at the 1st Saturday sale for $20!!!
(EDO ram and fast dram were the same price)  I went to fryes, and fryes
had the same one for $40.  Also, I priced the motherboards, and the bare
motherboards are around $75-150.  I bought the best deal I could find
on a 200mhz cpu with mmx which was a cyrix chip for about $99.  AMD was
about $118, and Intel was about $178.  266mhz processors and faster
were over the $400 dollar mark.  I'd be doubtful of the $110 quote.
Anyway, anything that's not MMX will drop soon since Intel will no
longer be making chips without MMX.  You should check out the Infomart
sale this Saturday for the latest prices.

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___  http://www.dprg.org (Jan 17)
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ http://users.why.net/jbrown
\__\/ \/ \/\/\/ \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com