DPRG: PowerTrends 7805 switching regulator replacement

Subject: DPRG: PowerTrends 7805 switching regulator replacement
From: David Beckham dbeckham at bectec.com
Date: Fri Jan 16 00:07:05 CST 1998

Kipton Moravec wrote:

> Jim Brown wrote:
> >
> > Have yall seen these drop in switching regulator replacements for
> > the 78xx series?
> >
> > They're a little bigger, it is pinout compatible (input, common, output),
> > they're about 85% efficient, plus, they're rated for 1.5a.
> >
> > http://www.powertrends.com/pages/pt78st1.html
> >
> > The part numbers go like 78st1xx where they're equivalent to 78xx parts.
> >
> > For example, the 78st105 is equivalent to the 7805.
> > 78st112 is equivalent to the 7812.
> >
> > It says it _requires_ a 100uf cap, but I guess power supply designs
> > should have a hefty cap anyway.
> >
> > Anyone off hand know of the street price, or who has them?
>
> Nu Horizons Electronics Corp, 2081 Hutton Drive, Carrollton, TX, (214)
> 488-2255 is the local distributer.  http://www.nuhorizons.com/  I will
> call Genie tomorrow and get a price and availability number.  I just
> happen to be in the market for a 1.2 Amp 5V power supply.
>
> Regards,
> Kip

I ordered a sample from their website today, and was informed that the 5
volt unit needs a minimum of 9 volts in (up to 36 or so).  The
implication was they need 4 volts headroom to operate.  Not necessarily
a problem, but something to be aware of, since the 7805 doesn't need
that much.
- --
	David Beckham
	http://www.BecTec.com
	Home of ARBE-ONE the "Model T" of Mobile Bases.
	Now offering TCOMP tiny computers by Ray Butts,
	(ARBE-ONE's inventor).