DPRG: PowerTrends 7805 switching regulator replacement

Subject: DPRG: PowerTrends 7805 switching regulator replacement
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at spd.dsccc.com
Date: Fri Jan 16 10:03:53 CST 1998

> I've seen these before but never used them due to the cost.  There
> are some other options such as reducing the battery voltage and using
> a low dropout regulator such as the LM2941.  Then there isn't very
> much energy to turn into heat.  If the battery voltage dips much, then
> the thing wouldn't work.  There are also some "simple switcher" chips
> that can be used in addition to some external components including
> inductors.

Using a "simple switcher" chip and a coil, would it be any cheaper
than the $16 or so for the 78ST105 chip?  Can you name one of the
chips that you were mentioning?  Would the circuit be very difficult?
Could you get the >85% efficiency that the 78st105 does?
Inquiring minds want to know.

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___  http://www.dprg.org (Jan 17)
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ http://users.why.net/jbrown
\__\/ \/ \/\/\/ \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com