DPRG: A new era

Subject: DPRG: A new era
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at spd.dsccc.com
Date: Mon Jan 19 13:26:52 CST 1998

> Sorry I missed the dprg meeting.  I'm building a garage and
> have been waiting for weeks for a decent weekend without
> rain.

We missed you.  :-(

> Congrats on the election.

Thanks.

> I'll try to be a good parts librarian this year.  If there is
> anything you think I should do, please let me know.

He He, that's what you get for not being there!  ;-)

> My new-and-improved Trilobot will hopfully be at the Feb DPRG
> meeting.

By the way, let me mention that the February Contest has been
bumped to March.  We voted at the meeting to have two contests
a year and they will be at the March and September meetings.

> We've gotten the dual-differential drive hardware
> and software running along with most other subsystems.  3
> 8052 processors in all.  Grip and lift gripper system, pan
> and tilt head with 2 degree compass, our own sonar system,
> laser pointer, IR communication between other robots and
> TV remotes, RC receiver inputs, sound input and output, light
> direction sensor, line follower, temp sensor, GPS interface,
> LCD, Keypad, Basic interpreter, intel hex file downloader,
> removable panels, plenty of space for extras.  Oh I forgot, 8
> whisker bumper switches, extra A/Ds/digitial I/O for smoke
> detectors, horns, water cannons, etc.  Current draw detection
> circutry.  2 axis tilt sensor. Man is this thing maxed or
> what?!  And I probably forgot a few things.  All in a 12" x
> 12" x 12" platform.

Oh, bummer, the next contest limits are 11.9" x 11.9" x 11.9"
(just kidding of course).

Sounds like a really, really, really, (...) nice robot!!

Will it beat Yatu III in the contest???

Here's a few questions:

Will your gripper be able to pick up cans for the contest?

2 degree compass, is that one of those vector compasses or
something homegrown?  How do you interface it?

GPS interface, is that a serial port :-) or what is involved
for interfacing a GPS.  Have you played with the GPS stuff
much?  Are you doing the land based to get the higher resolution?

2axis tilt sensor, how much did that cost, what is the
resolution, what is the response time, where do you get, etc, etc...

Wow, can it make pizza?  It's not as greasy as it cooks.

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___  http://www.dprg.org (Feb 21)
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ http://users.why.net/jbrown
\__\/ \/ \/\/\/ \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/jgbrown at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com
jimbrown at airmail.net     http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/6818