DPRG: MOSFET v/s Transistor

Subject: DPRG: MOSFET v/s Transistor
From: Kipton Moravec kmoravec at airmail.net
Date: Wed Jan 21 14:32:32 CST 1998

I am no expert but here is what I know.

MOSFETS are used for high voltage/current and switching applications
because the have low internal resistance and they can be switched fast
fron on to off and back.  The portion of their curve that is nearly
linear is very steep so it is harder to control in a linear fashion.

The transistor has more capacitance and resistance which makes it better
if you want to operate between full on and full off. The portion of the
curve that is linear is not as steep so you have more room to vari the
gate current to adjust the output.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kip