DPRG: Re: Solar Power + Motor Control

Subject: DPRG: Re: Solar Power + Motor Control
From: Dave Hrynkiw dave at solarbotics.com
Date: Sun Jan 25 03:17:37 CST 1998

At 10:36 PM 1/24/1998 -0800, Rick and Debora Everett wrote:
>Isn't the internal resistance higher in the larger value capacitors?

That's generally true, except in the case of Panasonic AL "Gold" series
capacitors, where the internal ESR *DROPS* the higher you go - we're
talking about just 1.7 Ohms for a 0.33F 2.5V cap here. We've found lots of
promising caps that just can't power a motor due to the higher ESR, but
these Gold caps are just dynamite!

>If you have any problems getting your motor running with larger caps,
>you might try putting a 4700 uF cap in parallel with a larger (1+ Farad)
>cap, using the lower internal resistance of the 4700 to "jump start" the
>motor.

We've used this trick with some of the higher ESR ones we mentioned
earlier. Works well if the big cap isn't too lousy.

- -Dave
- --
"Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_.  Yes,
that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_". EMAIL:dave at solarbotics.com
Solarbotics http://www.solarbotics.com