DPRG: September 1752

Subject: DPRG: September 1752
From: Larry Kerns kerns at lonestar.rcclub.org
Date: Wed Jan 28 17:23:08 CST 1998

Jim Brown wrote:

> Have yall ever seen the calendar for September 1752?
> It's weird
>
> $ cal 9 1752
>
>    September 1752
>  S  M Tu  W Th  F  S
>        1  2 14 15 16
> 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
> 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
>
> I guess nobody was born on September 3rd - 13th 1752!
Jim,
For info...

The calendar in use in Europe during the first sixteen centuries of the
Christian era was the Julian Calendar, named for Julius Caesar, who
introduced the first
version of it in 46 B.C. The Julian Calendar was based on the
observations of astronomers that the Earth required 365 and one-fourth
days to make a
complete revolution around the sun. Each fourth year had 366 days to
keep the calendar synchronized. In the Julian Calendar the new year
began on 25
March. That is, 31 December 1581 was followed immediately by 1 January
1581; and 24 March 1581 was followed immediately by 25 March 1582.

In A.D. 325 the Council of Nicaea established a fixed date in relation
to the Vernal Equinox for the observance of Easter, but within a few
centuries the
calendar and the seasons got out of adjustment. In fact, it takes the
Earth approximately 365.2422 days (not 365.25 days) to revolve once
around the sun.
The small discrepancy of about eleven minutes per year eventually
produced big problems. By 1582, Easter had crept back from 21 March to
11 March.

In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII solved the problem and created the modern
calendar that we use today. By the Gregorian Calendar, the new year
begins on 1
January, not on 25 March. The normal year has 365 days, but every fourth
year has 366 days. To correct for the eleven minutes, the Gregorian
Calendar
does not have leap years for any of the century years (i.e., 1700, 1800,
1900 are not leap years) except for century years divisible by 400
(i.e., 1600, 2000,
2400 are leap years). Gregory XIII put the new calendar into operation
and brought the calendar back into its proper relationship to the
seasons by declaring
that the day immediately following 4 October 1582 was to be 15 October
1582.

Many parts of the western world declined to accept the Gregorian
Calendar, and the Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches continued to use
the so-called
old style dates into the twentieth century. England retained the Julian
Calendar until 1752, when Parliament adopted the Gregorian Calendar for
Great Britain
and its colonies. The new year for the English-speaking world then
became 1 January, and the discrepancy between dates, which had grown
>from eleven to
twelve days, was resolved when Parliament declared that 2 September 1752
was to be followed immediately by 14 September 1752.
- --
Will I Dream?

Larry W. Kerns
kerns at lonestar.rcclub.org