DPRG: Re: dprglist online

Subject: DPRG: Re: dprglist online
From: David Beckham dbeckham at bectec.com
Date: Wed Jan 28 21:31:59 CST 1998

Jim Brown wrote:
(snip)
> around with.  I was talking with a guy last night, and one idea we
> talked about was having one servo for steering, and then just have
> a hobby motor with a fan for propulsion.  It could go forward and
> backward, and steer left and right.  That would cut the cost of
> of the drive motor to just a $0.39 cent hobby motor with a fan.  Of
> course, the robot would have to be light enough that a fan could
> push it.  It might need maybe two or three fans (and hobby motors)
> to push it, but I think that would still be cheaper than a gearhead
> drive motor or a modified servo.  Just thinking out loud I guess.

Hi Jim,
While you're thinking about it, one "cheap" solution to the problem is
the one Ray Butts used when designing ARBE-ONE.  Similar to the
tape-recorder capstan drive, he placed the motor shaft against the top
of the driving wheel (with a piece of shrink tubing on the shaft to add
extra friction and a slight increase in diameter).  It's not as fancy as
gears, but it provides reduction, it works, and it's cheap.

> > I hope my post didn't sound like an advertisement, :) Thanks, Jim
>
> No prob.  We like reading about the your real robotic creating on
> the fly stuff, and see what you came up with stuff - especially the
> video on a bot thing!  Hey, we all like bragging a little!  And,
> it's ok to announce a new cool slick robot product, now and then.

Amen to that!  I always enjoy reading what Jim's come up with (reminds
me to visit the web-site, and the Arm kit I bought from him was very
slick.

- --
	David Beckham
	http://www.BecTec.com
	Home of ARBE-ONE the "Model T" of Mobile Bases.
	Now offering TCOMP tiny computers by Ray Butts,
	(ARBE-ONE's inventor).