DPRG: Re: dprglist online

Subject: DPRG: Re: dprglist online
From: Jim Frye jfrye at lynxmotion.com
Date: Thu Jan 29 18:03:13 CST 1998

Hello Jim,

>Ever thought about making a super cheap robot, like around $40-$50
>to blow those owi kit guys outta the water?  We talked last night

Those owi guys have a purpose. I think they help get people started. But
they can't hold em. without programability the robots are really lacking.

>at the RBNO meeting that it would be nice if DPRG had a descent,
>inexpensive kit for the newbies, and the youngsters who are starting
>out and don't have too much money.  Off the top of my head, I was
>thinking of an Atmel 2051, a couple of cheap gearhead motors (maybe
>modified servos), and a couple of bumper switches or IR proximity.
>Don't know if it could be done that cheap, but if it could, I think
>there'd be even a bunch of old timers that would want one for messing

It would be very difficult. I am constantly amazed that even in high volume
purchases of certain hobbiest items that go into kits the discount is not
that great. I don't know of any reliable sources for cheap gearhead motors.
Before I commit to a design I need to know that I will be able to get the
components in large quantities for the years to come. I am always thinking...

>around with.  I was talking with a guy last night, and one idea we
>talked about was having one servo for steering, and then just have
>a hobby motor with a fan for propulsion.  It could go forward and
>backward, and steer left and right.  That would cut the cost of
>of the drive motor to just a $0.39 cent hobby motor with a fan.  Of
>course, the robot would have to be light enough that a fan could
>push it.  It might need maybe two or three fans (and hobby motors)
>to push it, but I think that would still be cheaper than a gearhead
>drive motor or a modified servo.  Just thinking out loud I guess.

Interesting idea.

>> I hope my post didn't sound like an advertisement, :) Thanks, Jim
>
>No prob.  We like reading about the your real robotic creating on
>the fly stuff, and see what you came up with stuff - especially the
>video on a bot thing!  Hey, we all like bragging a little!  And,
>it's ok to announce a new cool slick robot product, now and then.
>Try to limit it to one announcement for each new product, though.

Oh yea, about that new thingy I designed... (just kidding) :)

>I just do not like reading others pseudo-robotic stuff or beat me
>over the head again and again or I got this for sale/free thing that
>some do!  Wears out my delete key.  I'll let you know if you start
>getting obnoxious!  ;-) ...just keep 'em coming!
>
>At least you're sensitive to it.  It seems that some people just never
>get the message!  I appreciate your sensitivity to this issue.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Frye                             ---------
Lynxmotion, Inc.                   /   (o\ (o\)----
104 Partridge Road                +-----\ \-\ \   o \