DPRG: op amp question

Subject: DPRG: op amp question
From: DP w008403 at airmail.net
Date: Tue Aug 3 02:50:53 CDT 1999

Try :  http://etcai.pair.com/opamp.htm
and    http://www.semi.harris.com/data/an/an9/an9415/index.htm
and  http://cardprint.ucsd.edu/omens/ames163/op_amp.html

AND finally   http://www.radioshack.com/sw/swb/parts/linics/tl082.htm
for the datasheets.
Short answer is ya need the dual supply for signal level amplification, as
most (audio) signals go positive and negative. If ya want something to
output a 0-5 digital switching signal, a comparator (LM339) is more
appropriate and can be wired with +5 and gnd supplies. Seems that I
remember someone using regular opamps in digital switching (741) wiring
supplies to +5 and gnd with a pull-up on the output.

At 10:15 PM 8/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Maybe this is a dumb question, I don't know. (Are there any op-amp tutorials
>on the Internet? Something like the Encoder basics articles would be nice.
>:) Is there any reason for V+ and V- supplies on an op amp? Can I connect
>ground to V-? I have a RadShack TL082 "dual bifet op amp" which doesn't need
>a ground connection, only V+ and V-...  For other op amps that have gnd, why
>can't I use a voltage divider to create a level between V+ and the real
>ground?
>
>--
>Justin Kao <jkao at bigfoot.com> <ICQ 5903051> <http://www.bigfoot.com/~jkao>

		David & Dina