DPRG: op amp question

Subject: DPRG: op amp question
From: MIKE MCCARTY -- 93789 JMCCARTY at DEVEL.USA.ALCATEL.COM
Date: Wed Aug 4 08:54:04 CDT 1999

[snip]

)Mike McCarty:
)>What is your aversion to a split supply?
)A rather small robot.  :)  Hm, side question, for those of you with < 10"

[snip]

If you really need a single supply (and you might) then here are some
suggestions:

	If you are doing AC amplification, or if you can tolerate a DC
	offset, then use a dual or quad op-amp, a heavily bypassed
	divider or Zener, and use one of the op-amps as a voltage
	follower.

	If you can't tolerate a DC offset, but are just doing
	comparisons, then get a comparator, not an op-amp. It'll do a
	better job, anyway.

	If you truly need an op-amp and can't tolerate an offset, then
	try an op-amp which has 0V in its common mode range. The LM324
	is a quad which is rather old, but has quite low power
	requirements, and has 0V in its common mode range. I'm sure
	others are available.

Mike
- ----
I do not speak for Alcatel. <- They make me say that.