DPRG: Re: Robotics help

Subject: DPRG: Re: Robotics help
From: Jim Brown brownjim at airmail.net
Date: Fri Aug 6 19:37:47 CDT 1999

>            I need to power a 486 motherboard, hard drive, and floppy drive
>from a battery. I saw in your GARP project that you have a similar need. Do
>you know of any  way this problem can be solved?
>
>            Any and all assistance is welcome!

Yep.

Easiest solution:
	Get a cheap laptop.
	Hey it's already setup for use with a battery just plug it in.
	It's already setup for high efficiency and power saving cmos stuff.
	I've seen them for as cheap as $150-$250 at the first Saturday sale.

Less Easy Solution but still easy:
	Get a 120v inverter.  Yep, those kind that plug into the
	cigarette lighter.  The problem is that they're not very
	efficient, so your battery won't last long before you'll have
	to recharge it again.  Hey, but it works, and it's an easy
	solution.  You probably want to get one with high wattage output
	maybe 150 watt version or better?  Those $10  20 watt versions
	probably won't work when the hard drive kicks in, but if you
	try it let us know how it goes - I don't think I'd bother, though.
	It'll cost you about $50-80 (I actually found one at the first
	saturday sale for $20 but don't count on that - morelikely it'll
	be around $70.)

Hard Solution:
	Find a motherboard, hard drive, and floppy that all operate
	from +5 and ground.  As long as you don't need serial, you
	could probably wing it with a regular motherboard and just not
	connect the +12 & -12 to it to see if it works.  The hard drive
	and the floppy can be found at 5v only if you look for them.
	You can run it all of a 5v dc to dc converter.  Try to design
	around needing any serial connection.  The converter and some
	cables will probably cost you about ?$40?

Harder Solution:
	Get a DC to DC converter that outputs +12 -12 +5 -5
	Will cost you over $100 or more for it.
	It's much more efficient than the inverter.
	A little harder to hook up - get some motherboard power cables
	and some hard drive power cables and your in business.

There's probably other ways too.  I like the laptop idea, myself,
why reinvent the wheel?

    \/\_\@  ____    /  /\ __  ___          ___    http://www.dprg.org
    / / /\ / / /\  /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\  brownjim at airmail.net
jim_brown at bigfoot.com jbrown at dprg.org http://www.cyberramp.net/~jbrown