DPRG: biasing & reading a phototransistor

Subject: DPRG: biasing & reading a phototransistor
From: Justin Kao jkao at bigfoot.com
Date: Sat Aug 14 17:59:21 CDT 1999

Hello,

It sounds like you are on the right track.

I am using a reflective sensor from All Electronics, with a 100ohm resistor
with the IR LED. Increasing your LED current might help (though watch out
for the specified max.) increase the voltage difference. Also, moving the
sensor closer to the encoder will help. I have a 74hc14 to clean up the
output and it works very nicely. With six inverters, it's easy to add two
leds for indicating white and black.

I found using a pot in place of the resistor makes it much easier to make
adjustments. With the bot on a stand and the motor running, I just turn the
pot until the white and black indicator leds blink equally.