DPRG: rechargable alkalines

Subject: DPRG: rechargable alkalines
From: Matt Minnis mminnis at prefres.com
Date: Tue Aug 17 08:56:53 CDT 1999

With all the research I have done into batteries, I found that the
Nicad/NiMh batteries or Lead acid batteries are still the cheapest for long
term robot usage.  If you only plan to use the robot for the short term,
then the rechargeable alkalines are the way to go.

The rechargeable alkalines die off too quickly.  Each time they are
emptied, they lose capacity.
Pretty soon they have no capacity left.

What I used in my robot was a 12 v lead acid camcorder battery.  I have a
pair of them, one in the robot the other in the charger or charged up
already.  This way I can keep going.  and going.  and going.  </End pink
bunny> :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Matt Minnis

At 08:42 AM 8/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Justin:
>I've not had specific experience with these cells, but I have heard that
>the end capacity declines by an undefined amount after each "recharge"
>episode. I can't decide if this technology is worth fooling with or not.
>Ralph
>
>On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Justin Kao wrote:
>
> > Anyone have experience with Rayovac's rechargable alkalines?
> >
> > The higher voltage is attractive, but Rayovac's datasheets say that it
> isn't
> > for high-drain applications as the internal resistance is larger than for
> > regular alkalines.
> >
> > --
> > Justin Kao <jkao at bigfoot.com> <ICQ 5903051> <http://www.bigfoot.com/~jkao>

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475
St. Louis, MO
63141