DPRG: Diffrent terrains for navigation

Subject: DPRG: Diffrent terrains for navigation
From: David Philip Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Thu Aug 19 12:23:31 CDT 1999

Howdy Matt,

you wrote:

> I was wondering how the rest of you handle wheel slippage and other errors
> on diffrent terrains.
> Like if I am on carpet it turns vastly diffrent than on linoleum, which is
> also diffrent than on hardwood flooring.
> On each diffrent surface, I turn a diffrent amount for the same # of
> encoder clicks.

My current 'bot on hardwood vs. carpet maybe a little different, but
hardwood vs. linoleum are probably identical.

What is the geometry of your platform?
How are you steering?
Do the wheels skid sideways in a normal turn?

Are you certain you turn the same number of clicks, including overshoot,
(which changes with friction) at the end of the turn?

dpa