DPRG: Diffrent terrains for navigation

Subject: DPRG: Diffrent terrains for navigation
From: Matt Minnis mminnis at prefres.com
Date: Thu Aug 19 15:31:51 CDT 1999

I use a six wheeled design.
They are arranged in more of a hexagon than a rectangle.

Here is the link to my robot so you can see for yourself:
http://walden.mvp.net/~chandra/

I have since placed scotch tape around the rear wheels.  This has helped
somewhat.

My father suggested since the rear wheels are in a basic suspension, raise
them up so that they are only used when the robot is rolling over
something.  I have not tried this yet.  I have to shift some weight to do
this right.

I am going to get a vector compass from Jameco soon, and I am concidering a
trailing wheel with an encoder.

Yes the wheels skid in every turn.  They are the spongey model airplane
wheels and have a high friction to them.  The upside is they get great
traction.  :)  However this is the result.  :(

The number of clicks may be off by a couple but it is off by a large margin
in degrees, perhaps as many as 45.

Thanks,

Matt

At 12:23 PM 8/19/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Howdy Matt,
>
>you wrote:
>
> > I was wondering how the rest of you handle wheel slippage and other errors
> > on diffrent terrains.
> > Like if I am on carpet it turns vastly diffrent than on linoleum, which is
> > also diffrent than on hardwood flooring.
> > On each diffrent surface, I turn a diffrent amount for the same # of
> > encoder clicks.
>
>My current 'bot on hardwood vs. carpet maybe a little different, but
>hardwood vs. linoleum are probably identical.
>
>What is the geometry of your platform?
>How are you steering?
>Do the wheels skid sideways in a normal turn?
>
>Are you certain you turn the same number of clicks, including overshoot,
>(which changes with friction) at the end of the turn?
>
>dpa

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475
St. Louis, MO
63141