DPRG: Re: robotics

Subject: DPRG: Re: robotics
From: Jim Brown brownjim at airmail.net
Date: Sun Aug 22 15:26:17 CDT 1999

At 10:35 AM 8/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Jim Brown
>my name is Jason Pilgrim and i was wondering if you could point me in
>the right direction, I have a growing interest in robotics and was
>wondering if you could tell me how i could learn more about it. mainly
>the programing and designing of robots. Any help that you can offer me
>on the topic would be greatly welcomed
>thank you
>Jason Pilgrim
>hamlet12 at home.com

Probably one of the best ways to get into robotics is to get a
robotics kit.  Preferrably one you can program like a parallax
( http://www.parallaxinc.com ) basic stamp type robot that can
be programmed in basic or one of the Lynxmotion ( http://www.lynxmotion.com )
or Arobot robots from Arrick Robotics ( http://www.robotics.com) these
robots  also use the basic stamp.  These type robots run about $130
to $200 or so.  There are also other kits out there, but you'll
need to build them from scratch.  The CPU boards run anywhere
>from $39 ( http://www.newmicros.com ) for a board that you can
program in basic or C or 8051 or hc11 assembly on up to hundreds
of dollars for an embedded board.  You'll need to buy or build a
base, and they can run anywhere from $30 on up to hundreds.  Another
way you can go is use a laptop with a a parallel port controller
( http://www.boondog.com) for your robot.  You'll have to build
a motor controller and sensor controller, but that's a more high
end robot that can use about any PC type programming language.
If you're just starting out programming, most people choose to
start with basic, it's easy to learn and there's lots of examples.
If you're more into it, you might want to switch to C, it's
faster and compiles to use less valuable memory space.  Then,
when you're more advanced, assembly might be a choice for you.
You have virtually no limitations in assembly, but it's very
error prone and not a very structured language - you should be
very disciplined before attempting to write in assembly.
I hope this info helps.

    \/\_\@  ____    /  /\ __  ___          ___    http://www.dprg.org
    / / /\ / / /\  /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\  brownjim at airmail.net
jim_brown at bigfoot.com jbrown at dprg.org http://www.cyberramp.net/~jbrown